Sunday 14 September 2008

Todays match: Steve V Varroa!

It's that time of year again! Off with the honey (not that we had any!), and in with the pest control!
I am following the advice of the boys at DEFRA, and going with Apiguard. I put in a tray about ten days ago, and now it's on with the second tray for each hive. The girls at the Lottie have done well and, i've taken the risk of re-opening the entrance (to a narrow one). The re-united hive at home has done really well, and has lots of sealed brood, eggs and stores.
Yesterday, I placed new wasp traps at the Lottie, as the others were full.......rain and wasps!
However, we are not out of the woods yet! This time last year, Lynne & I went upstairs to bed.....fnarr, fnarr! to be met with at least 80 wasps in our bedroom! They'd nested in the eaves, little tykes! So it was on with the bee suit.........NO dear readers, titter ye not! and after much swatting, I reclaimed our scrummy sleeping space!

No comments: